Soldiers & Citizens
Ukrainian citizens pose for photos with Russian troops that had been sent to the Crimean city of Simferopol. The soldiers are in control of several locations in mostly Pro-Russian areas. The Ukrainian military is on high alert at their arrival. (Photo: REUTERS/Stringer)
Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day Across the World
To view more photos and videos from St. Patrick’s day celebrations, browse the #stpatricksday hashtag on Instagram.
Green-clad, shamrock-decorated and probably drinking a pint of Guinness, people of Irish descent across the world will take to the streets and pubs to celebrate Irish heritage for St. Patrick’s Day on Monday. The first Feast of St. Patrick honored the 5th-century patron saint of Ireland and the arrival of Christianity in the 1600s. Restrictions on eating and drinking for lent are lifted on this day, adding to the merry St. Paddy’s Day atmosphere. This year Ireland also celebrates winning the Six Nations rugby title, after defeating France on Saturday. A public holiday in Ireland and Northern Ireland, March 17 is also widely celebrated across the world by enthusiastic expats.
- Live Updates Ukraine Crisis, refreshes every 90 seconds
- Ukraine accuses Russia of invading Crimea
- CCTV Footage shows capture of Crimea airport
- President Obama: “The US supports the Ukrainian government and its efforts to stand for sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
- Statement made by US Ambassador Powers at the emergency UN Security Council